Harriet M. Heatherington Scholarship
Harriet M. Heatherington was a member and long-time supporter of our YWCA. She created this scholarship fund through her estate to help deserving women attain their educational goals.
Apply for the YWCA Harriet M. Heatherington scholarship through Arizona Community Foundation to receive $1,500 through your school to help fund your education.
– Female, with preference given to those with dependents
– Intent to enroll at a post-secondary school in Maricopa County, Arizona (vocational school, community college, or university)
– U.S. citizen or legal immigrant; Arizona resident for tuition purposes at public colleges (preference given to women in refugee status)
– High school graduate with at least a 2.0 GPA or cumulative score of 460 or better on GED, or successful completion of at least 12 credits of college level work with a GPA of 2.0 or higher
– Financial need; detailed in the student essay and letters of recommendation
Prior recipients may apply for continued funding in subsequent application cycles and will be considered along with new applicants.
LEARN MORE & APPLY TODAY!
A Biomedical Engineering student at Arizona State University, Wid Alsabah was awarded this scholarship for her grades, volunteering and community work, and her passion. Wid is a full-time honors student and works as a Product and Development engineer at Neolight. She is a first-generation student and the President of the Muslim Students Association at ASU and the social activities director of the Muslim American Society.
Wid is passionate about working with refugees. She came to the United States with her family in 2011 as a refugee herself, and says one of the most important factors that helped her adjust to life in the US was knowing that there were people here to help her. Therefore, she wants to do her best to help refugees feel at home by providing them with the resources they need and people to socialize with.
There are many ways to get involved at YWCA Metropolitan Phoenix
Your voice matters as we stand up for social justice, help families and strengthen communities. Whether you have time, talents, or treasures to contribute, learn how you can plug in to the YWCA community.