Stand Against Racism: Take the Pledge
YWCA is on a mission to eliminate racism,
empower women, stand up for social
justice, help families, and strengthen
communities. I am taking a stand against
racism with YWCA and hundreds of
thousands of people across the country,
today and every day.
Mindful of the continuing affliction of systemic, interpersonal and internalized racism including racial, ethnic, religious, gender, and other forms of bias, prejudice, and bigotry in my own life, my family, my circle of friends, my co-workers and the society in which I live, with conviction and hope:
I take this pledge,
Fully aware that the struggle to overcome and eliminate racism will not end with a mere pledge, but calls for an ongoing transformation within myself and society;
- To look deeply and continuously in my heart and in my mind to identify all signs and vestiges of racism;
- To rebuke the use of racist language and behavior towards others, born of such racism;
- To root out such racism in my daily life and in my encounters with persons I know and with strangers I do not know; and
- To expand my consciousness to be more aware and sensitive to my use of overt and subtle expressions of racism and racial stereotypes.
- To challenge any expressions of racism and racial stereotypes in my presence, by my family, my children, my friends, my co-workers, and those I encounter;
- To actively object to the display of visible and invisible racism, and the use of racial stereotypes and exclusionary casting and story lines, in television shows, movies, music, books, newspaper stories, radio talk shows, and other forms of popular culture; and
- Not to patronize sponsors who underwrite such forms of popular culture or companies known to engage in racial discrimination and the perpetuation of racial stereotypes.
I pledge, within my means,
- To support public policy solutions that prominently, openly, and enthusiastically promote racial equality in all aspects of human affairs; and
- To actively support and devote my time to YWCA, as well as other organizations working to eradicate racism from our society.
[gravityform id=14 title=false description=false ajax=true tabindex=49]
There are many ways to get involved at YWCA Metropolitan Phoenix
Your voice matters as we stand up for social justice, help families and strengthen communities. Whether you have time, talents, or treasures to contribute, learn how you can plug in to the YWCA community.