By: Jan Elsea, Chair Leadership Giving Council
Most of us probably think that Legacy Giving means designating physical items (like money, property, jewelry, retirement funds, etc.) to a recipient.
But I have come to believe that giving of yourself—your time, talents, energy—is of great value also. Without the contributions of this year’s 172 volunteers, for instance, the following would not have been possible:
- Served 98,283 meals to 1,162 seniors through the YWCA Meals on Wheels and congregate meals program
- Provided 10,800 rides through the Dial-A-Ride program
- Provided 1620 programs to seniors and disabled from the West Valley
- Helped educate 831 financially-disadvantaged women and youth who participated in our Financial Education program, OWN It
- Hosted the 26th annual Tribute to Leadership luncheon where more than 410 guests in attendance honored 6 community leaders and 4 corporations
- Hosted 5 inspirational events through the YWCA Women’s Empowerment Series
- Provided two Work Smart Wage Negotiation classes that taught participants how to negotiate better salary and benefits
- Facilitated over 31 Stand Against Racism conversations across the Valley
Over 8,767 hours were given by our volunteers. Without them many of the above programs could not exist. Their service was invaluable in helping the YWCA of Metropolitan Phoenix carry out its mission: to empower women and eliminate racism. On behalf of the Leadership Giving Council, thanks to all us volunteers!